Chhota Banki Dam, also known as Hurlung Dam is so unexplored that even the local people are not aware of its existence. Yes! you read it right, it is the most unexplored place in the state of Jharkhand.
Table of Contents
- Where is Chota Banki Dam located?
- Why is Chota Banki Dam famous?
- Weather at Chhota Banki Dam
- Best time to visit Chhota Banki?
- What is the entry fee for Chhota Banki Dam?
- What is the timing to visit Chhota Banki Dam?
- Which is the nearest city of Chhota Banki Dam?
- Which is the nearest railway station of Chhota Banki Dam?
- How to reach Chhota Banki Dam from Kolkata?
- Is Chota Banki accessible by four-wheeler?
- Does Chhota Banki have a separate parking zone?
- Is Chota Banki Dam safe for tourists?
- Where to stay while visiting Chota Banki Dam?
- Places to visit near Chota Banki Dam.
Where is Chota Banki Dam located?
Chota Banki Dam is located in Chhota Banki village of Golmuri cum Jugsalai Tehsil in the East Sighbhum district of Jharkhand. The place is located at a distance of 32 km from the sub-district headquarter Golmmuri-cum-Jugsalai and 24 km from the district headquarter Jamshedpur.
Why is Chota Banki Dam famous?
Chota Banki Dam is known to few and therefore remains untouched. Hidden amidst the Dalma hills, the dam is a perfect destination for a picnic. The serene atmosphere surrounding the dam makes it an ideal weekend getaway, to rejuvenate your mind after a hectic week.
Weather at Chhota Banki Dam
Chhota Banki has a tropical climate. The Summer range from the month of March to June and the temperature varies between 35 to 40-degree centigrades. The month of April and May are the hottest. The dam receives moderate rainfall during the rainy months of July to August. The winter stretches between the month of November to February with the temperature falling between 10-degree centigrade to 15-degree centigrade. The month of December and January are the coldest.
Best time to visit Chhota Banki?
The best time to visit Chhota Banki Dam is during monsoon i.e in the month of August as the dam remains entirely soaked into water.
If you are planning a picnic then the best time to visit Chota Banki is during the winter months of December to January.
What is the entry fee for Chhota Banki Dam?
There is no entry fee for visiting the Chhota Banki. The dam lies in the wild and is open for all.
What is the timing to visit Chhota Banki Dam?
There is no time limit to visit Chhota Banki. The dam can be visited anytime but it is sensible to avoid visiting after dawn as it is located in an isolated area.
Which is the nearest city of Chhota Banki Dam?
The Steel City Jamshedpur is the nearest city of Chhota Banki Dam. Jamshedpur is named after its founder and also the founder of the Tata Groups, the great Indian industrialist Sir Jamshetji Nusserwanji Tata, is the largest city in the state of Jharkhand. It is the First Planned Industrial City Of India. Jamshedpur is also is known by various other names as the ‘Steel City’, ‘Industrial Capital Of Jharkhand’, ‘Tatanagar/Tata’, ‘Green City’, ‘Clean City’.
Which is the nearest railway station of Chhota Banki Dam?
The nearest railway station of Chota Banki is the Tatanagar Junction (Station Code: TATA), the railway station of Jamshedpur.
How to reach Chhota Banki Dam from Kolkata?
Chhota Banki Dam is easily accessible by both rail and road. If you are traveling by train, then get down at Tatanagar Junction and rent a cab or auto from the station to Chhota Banki. The distance from Tatanagar Jn to Chhota Banki Dam is 19.9 km via Hurlung Rd.
List of few trains that connect Howrah Jn and Tatanagar Jn :
- Howrah – Barbil Jan Shatabdi Express (12021)
- Ispat Express (12871)
- Lalmati Express (12865)
If you are planning a road trip from Kolkata, then here is the list of different routes with the distance :
- 68.5 km via NH16, NH49, and NH18.
- 330.9 km via NH19.
- 285.5 km via SH 2.
Bus Services from Kolkata to Jamshedpur
Unfortunately, there is no bus service between the cities of Kolkata and Jamshedpur.
Is Chota Banki accessible by four-wheeler?
The road that leads to Chhota Banki is a small straight cemented one and is very much accessible by four-wheelers.
Does Chhota Banki have a separate parking zone?
No, Chhota Banki doesn’t have a separate parking zone. One needs to park the vehicle near the green fields. The area is not crowded and therefore, parking space is easily available.
Is Chota Banki Dam safe for tourists?
Chhota Banki Dam is safe for tourists and there is no doubt in it. But as the dam is located in an isolated place, it is advisable to follow certain tips.
Tips for visiting Chota Banki Dam
- The dam is located a little far away from the city, so it becomes isolated after the sunset, therefore, avoid visiting after 4 pm.
- Avoid visiting the fall alone, always be in a group.
- The safest time to visit is between 6 am to 4 pm.
- It is much safer to visit the fall during the peak season, i.e December to February.
- Carry water bottles, medicines, snacks, and other refreshments along.
Where to stay while visiting Chota Banki Dam?
The city of Jamshedpur has many luxurious as well as budget hotels and lodges where one can stay will visiting the Chota Banki. Also, there are many luxurious resorts along the Tata Ranchi Highway, NH 33.