The fall of ten streams, Dassam is one of the best waterfalls located in Jharkhand. Dassam falls also called Dassam Ghagh or Da: Song by the locals is known for its mesmerizing sound.
The fall is located at a distance of 7 km from NH 33. It is one of the major tourist destinations in the state of Jharkhand. Know more about the timings, tickets, stays, tips, and lot more of Dassam Falls.
Table of Contents
- Where is Dassam Fall located?
- What is Dassam Fall famous for?
- What is the height of the Dassam Fall?
- From which river Dassam Fall originates?
- Weather at Dassam Fall.
- Best time to visit Dassam Fall.
- Can tourists swim or take bathe in Dassam Falls? Is Dassam Fall an accident Porne area?
- Can picnickers cook food near Dassam Falls?
- Parking facility in Dassam Falls.
- What is the ticket price at Dassam Fall?
- What is the timing of the Dassam Fall?
- Which is the nearest city of Dassam Fall?
- Which is the nearest railway station from the Dassam Fall?
- Which is the nearest airport from Dassam Fall?
- How to reach Dassam Fall from Kolkata?
- Is Dassam Fall safe for tourists?
- Where to stay while visiting Dassam Fall?
- What is the distance of Dassam Falls from Jamshedpur?
- Places to visit near Dassam Fall.
Dassam fall is located near Taimara village, Bundu police station, in the Ranchi district of Jharkhand. The district came into existence in the year 1899. Ranchi, the capital city of Jharkhand is the district headquarter.
What is Dassam Fall famous for?
Dassam fall gets its name from the word ‘Da’ which means ‘Water’ and ‘Song’ which means ‘pouring’ in the Mundari language. Hence, Da: song means the art of pouring water. The falls create an illusion of someone pouring water from the edge of the rock.
Another significant characteristic of the fall is that it is comprised of a total of ten streams. Dassam fall was called Da: song earlier but was later renamed to Dassam. The sound of the waterfall can be heard from a great distance.
The height of the Dassam Fall is 144 ft.
Dassam falls originate from river Kanchi, a tributary of river Subarnarekha River.
The area near Dassam Fall has a subtropical humid climate. Summer starts from the month of March and prevails till the month of June. The temperature in the summer months ranges from 30 degrees to 45-degree centigrades. April and May are the hottest months of the year.
July to September is the monsoon season. The area receives an average rainfall of 1000 mm.
Winter stretches from the month of November to February with the temperature fluctuating between 5-degree centigrades to 15-degree centigrades, December and January are the coldest months.
Best Time To Visit
To witness the fall when its high on water, the best time to visit is during the month of August which is technically the monsoon season.
However, if you are planning for a rejuvenating picnic, then the best time to visit is in the months of December or January.
Can tourists swim or take bathe in Dassam Falls?
Dassam fall is an accident-prone area. It has a very high current, as a result, many people have lost their lives while swimming or bathing in the pool created by the fall. So, tourists are waned by the authorities not to go near the water.
Can picnickers cook food near Dassam Falls?
Yes, picnickers can cook food near Dasam Falls. Also, you may find villagers whom you can hire to cook food for you in very minimal charges. It is advisable to carry cooking utensils and other items of necessary along.
Dassam fall has a parking facility for vehicles. The parking fee is INR 30 for a day.
The entry to Dassam Fall is free.
Dassam fall doesn’t have any timing. The fall is open for 24 hours. However, it is better not to visit the place after 4 pm as it becomes isolated after the dusk.
The nearest city of Dassam Falls is the capital city of Jharkhand, Ranchi, located at a distance of 41.5 km via NH43.
Nearest Railway Station
The nearest railway station from Dassam Falls is Ranchi Junction (Station Code: RNC) and another major nearest railway station is Hatia (Station Code: HTE).
The distance of Dassam Falls from Ranchi Junction is 38.5 km via NH43 and the distance of Dassam Falls from Hatia is 44.1 km via NH43.
Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi is the nearest airport from Dassam Falls, located at a distance of 44.0 km via NH43.
How to reach Dassam Fall from Kolkata?
Board a train from Howrah Junction to Ranchi Junction or Hatia. The minimum journey time from Howrah to Ranchi is seven to eight hours by train. After getting down at Ranchi Junction or Hatia, book a cab to Dassam Falls.
The distance between Ranchi Junction and Dassam Falls is
- 38.5 km via NH43.
- 47.8 km via Khunti – Taimara Rd.
The distance from Hatia to Dassam Falls is
- 44.1 km via NH43.
- 41.2 km via Khunti – Taimara Rd.
- 42.3 km via Khunti Road.
You can self-drive from Kolkata to Dassam falls or book a rental cab from Kolkata to Dassam falls.
The distance between Kolkata to Dassam Fall
- 386.2 km via NH16 and NH18.
- 408.6 km via NH19.
Take a flight from Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata to Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi. It takes approx one to one and a half hours to reach Ranchi by air. After reaching take a cab from the airport to Dassam Fall.
The distance between Birsa Munda Airport and Dassam Fall is
- 44.0 km via NH43.
- 45.6 km via Khunti – Taimara Rd.
Is Dassam Fall safe for tourists?
Yes, Dassam Fall is safe for tourists. Earlier it was a part of the Red corridor area but now, the government is turning it into a tourist hub. However, the following tips will help you to have a safe and sound visit to Dassam fall
Tips for visiting Dassam Fall
- As the fall is located at a distance from the city, it becomes isolated after 4 pm, therefore, avoid visiting the fall after sunset.
- Avoid visiting the fall alone, always be in a group.
- The safest time to visit is between 6 am to 4 pm.
- It is much safer to visit the fall during the peak season, i.e December to February.
- Carry water bottles, medicines, snacks, and other refreshments along.
Where to stay
NH 33 has many resorts where one can stay while visiting Dassam Falls or stay in the city of Ranchi. The city has both luxurious and budget hotels and lodges.
The distance of Dassam Falls from Jamshedpur
The distance of Dassam Falls from Jamshedpur is
- 114.1 km via NH43.
- 130.9 km via Chowka – Kandra Rd.
Other Places To Visit Near Dassam Fall
- Hirni Falls
- Deori Mandir
- Hundru Waterfall
- Sita Falls
- Rani Falls
- Ramrekha Dham
- Bhagwan Birsa Biological Park
- Patratu Valley
- Sun Temple
- Pahari Mandir