Dharagiri, a fall in the woodland, surrounded by the Dalma hills, is a supreme location for a weekend getaway and also an incredible picnic spot of Jharkhand, for nature lovers.
Table of Contents
- Where is Dharagiri Fall located?
- Why is Dharagiri Fall famous?
- Dharagiri Falls details.
- Weather at Dharagiri Falls
- Best time to visit Dharagiri Falls
- How to reach Dharagiri Falls?
- The distance of Basadera village from nearby cities.
- Bus Services from the nearby Cities.
- List of few trains that connect Howrah Jn and Ghatshila.
- Rental cab price from Kolkata to Dharagiri Falls, Ghatshila.
- List of few trains that connect Tatanagar Jn and Ghatshila.
- Rental cab price from Jamshedpur to Dharagiri Falls, Ghatshila.
- A drawback of Dharagiri Falls.
- Dharagiri fall safe for tourist?
- Tips for visiting Dharagiri Falls.
- Where to stay while visiting Dharagiri Falls?
- Places to visit near Dharagiri Falls.
Where is Dharagiri Fall located?
Dharagiri Falls is located in Basadera, a very remote area in the town of Ghatshila. Basadera is a small village in the East Singhbhum district of Jharkhand. Dharagiri is 5.7 km (via Burudi Road) from another amazing picnic spot of Jharkhand, Burudi Dam.
Why is Dharagiri Fall famous?
Dharagiri falls is all about its natural beauty. The fall lies far from human habitat, hidden inside the dense forest of Jharkhand, as a result, it remains totally undisturbed. Picnic in the woods is something everyone desires and Dharagiri is a quintessential recommendation. Being secluded for years, the water of Dharagiri is crystal clear and thirst-quenching. Also, if you are lucky, you might get a glance of Wild Elephants.
Dharagiri Falls details
Dharagiri derives its name from the word ‘Dhara’ which means ‘Stream’ and ‘Giri’ which means ‘Hill’. River Subarnarekha falls from the top of edgy rock, giving birth to the fall, hence the name. The height of the fall is approximately 20-25 feet.
Weather at Dharagiri Falls
The weather near Dharagiri Fall is tropical. The Summer months stretch from March to June with temperature varying between 35-degree centigrades to 40-degree centigrades, making the month of April and May the hottest.
In the month of July, the Dharagiri receives moderate rainfall.
The winter ranges between the month of November to February with the minimum temperature falling between 10-degree centigrade to 15-degree centigrade, making the month of December and January, the coldest.
Best time to visit Dharagiri Falls
The month of August is the best time to visit Dharagiri because the fall is at its best during the rainy season. But if you are planning for a picnic, then the best time to visit is during the months of December to February.
How to reach Dharagiri Falls?
Dharagiri is located in an isolated area and therefore is a little tricky to reach. If you are boarding a train, then get down at Ghatsila Station (Station Code: GTS) and then book a cab or auto to Dharagiri. The distance between Ghatsila station and Dharagiri falls is 13.6 km via Burudi Road. Auto generally charges INR 500 to INR 600 and a cab charges INR 1000 to INR 1200 from Ghatshila station to Gharagiri falls.
If you are traveling by a public bus then get down at Fuldungri bus stand and then rent a cab or auto to Dharagiri falls.
In case, you are planning a road trip then directly reach Basadera village. After reaching Basadera village, one needs to park the vehicle and the rest of the journey is to be made on foot. Dharagiri falls is situated at a distance of 1.5 to 2 km from Basadera village and the entire path is rocky, small and covered with dried leaves.
The distance of Basadera village from nearby cities:
- The distance between Kolkata and Basadera village is 248.5 km via NH16 and NH49.
- The distance between Jamshedpur and Basadera village is 55.8 km via NH18.
Bus Services from the nearby Cities:
- Bus services from Kolkata to Ghatshila is not available.
- Bus services from Jamshedpur to Ghatshila are available every day between 6 am to 5 pm.
List of few trains that connects Howrah Jn (Station Code: HWH) and Ghatshila (Station Code: GTS):
- Howrah – Barbil Jan Shatabdi Express (12021)
- Ispat Express (12871)
- Lalmati Express (12865)
Rental cab price from Kolkata to Dharagiri Falls, Ghatshila
The lumpsum rental cab price, if you are renting a Cab from Kolkata to Dharagiri Falls, Ghatshila is
- INR 4000 to INR 4500 for Macro
- INR 5000 to INR 5500 for Sedan
- INR 7500 to INR 8500 for SUV
List of few trains that connects Tatanagar Jn (Station Code: TATA) and Ghatshila (Station Code: GTS):
- Tata Steel Express (18616)
- Mumbai LTT – Shalimar Kurla Express (18029)
- Neelachal (Neelanchal) Express (12876)
Rental cab price from Jamshedpur to Dharagiri Falls, Ghatshila
The estimated rental cab price for Dharagiri Falls from Jamshedpur is
- INR 2000 to INR 2500 for Macro
- INR 3000 to INR 3500 for Sedan
- INR 5000 to INR 6000 for SUV
A drawback of Dharagiri Falls
One of the major drawbacks of Dharagiri falls is that the place is not pinned on google maps which makes it really difficult to find it in the middle of the forest. To save yourself from getting lost in the jungle, take help from the local guides, who are generally the tribal children. They charge a negligible amount of INR 20 or 30 to lead you through the rocky path to the falls.
Is Dharagiri fall safe for tourists?
Dharagiri fall is absolutely safe for the tourist but you have to be a little alert as it is situated in an isolated place. Here are some tips to follow for a safe visit to Dharagiri Falls.
Tips for visiting Dharagiri Falls
- As the fall lies in the middle of the forest, it becomes isolated after the dusk, therefore, avoid visiting the fall after sunset.
- Avoid visiting the fall alone, always be in a group.
- The safest time to visit is between 6 am to 4 pm.
- It is much safer to visit the fall during the peak season, i.e December to February.
- Carry water bottles, medicines, snacks, and other refreshments along.
Where to stay while visiting Dharagiri Falls?
Ghatshila has many lodges, budgets, and luxurious hotels, as well as resorts, where one can make a stay while visiting Dharagiri falls. Some of the well-known lodges, hotels, and resorts are
- Hotel Bibhuti Vihar
- Galudih Resort