The dam of Getalsud is absolutely serene and a treat to the eyes. The dam is surrounded by forest and blue hills which compliments its beauty. If you are planning for a road trip or a weekend getaway from Jharkhand or West Bengal then this is the place. Know more about the timings, tickets, stays, tips, things to do and a lot about Getalsud Dam.
Table of Contents
- Where is the Getalsud Dam located?
- What is Getalsud Dam famous for?
- When was Getalsud Dam inaugurated?
- Which organization operates and manages Getalsud Dam?
- What is Jharkhand Bijli Vitran Nigam Limited?
- What was the purpose behind constructing the Getalsud Dam?
- What is the height of the Getalsud Dam?
- On which river is Getalsud Dam constructed?
- Weather at Getalsud Dam
- Best time to visit Getalsud Dam
- What is the ticket price at Getalsud Dam?
- What is the timing of the Getalsud Dam?
- Which is the nearest city from Getalsud Dam?
- Which is the nearest railway station from the Getalsud Dam?
- Which is the nearest airport from Getalsud Dam?
- How to reach Getalsud Dam from Kolkata?
- Is Getalsud Dam safe for tourists?
- Where to stay while visiting Getalsud Dam?
- Places to visit near Getalsud Dam
Where is the Getalsud Dam located?
Getalsud Dam is located in a town called Ormanjhi in the district of Ranchi in Jharkhand. The dam is located in the Rukka block and therefore is also known as Rukka Dam.
What is Getalsud Dam famous for?
Getalsud Dam is famous for weekend outings and picnics among the residents of Ranchi and Ramgarh district. Getalsud is also an ideal place for fishing.
The dam is visited by many devotees during the Chhath Puja. Chhath is a Hindu festival specially celebrated in the states of Bihar, Jharkhand and Uttar Pradesh and also in some parts of Nepal.
When was Getalsud Dam inaugurated?
Getalsud Dam was inaugurated in the year 1971.
Which organization operates and manages Getalsud Dam?
Getalsud Dam is managed and operated by Jharkhand Bijli Vitran Nigam Limited.
What is Jharkhand Bijli Vitran Nigam Limited?
Jharkhand Bijli Vitran Limited is the largest Distribution Company (DISCOM) in Jharkhand. The company is a mass distributor of electricity to retail and commercial consumers in the state of Jharkhand.
What was the purpose behind constructing the Getalsud Dam?
The dam was constructed to meet the drinking water need in the district of Ranchi and Ramgarh. It also meets the water demands of heavy industries located in both districts.
What is the height of the Getalsud Dam?
The height of the Getalsud Dam is 116 ft.
On which river is Getalsud Dam constructed?
Getalsud Dam is constructed on river Subarnarekha.
Weather at Getalsud Dam
Getalsud Dam and the areas near Ranchi has a subtropical humid climate. Summer starts from the month of March and prevails till the month of June. The temperature in the summer months ranges from 30 degrees to 45-degree centigrades. April and May are the hottest months of the year. July to September is the monsoon season. The area receives an average rainfall of 1000 mm. Winter stretches from the month of November to February with the temperature fluctuating between 5-degree centigrades to 15-degree centigrades, December and January are the coldest months.
Best time to visit Getalsud Dam
During the monsoon month of August, the water level at Getalsud is very high which makes it more beautiful. For picnic lovers, the best time to visit is from December to February. One can also visit the dam on the day of Chhath to witness thousands of devotees performing the puja. The festival of Chhath takes place between the month of October and November.
What is the ticket price at Getalsud Dam?
Entry to Getalsud is free.
What is the timing of the Getalsud Dam?
Getalsud Dam doesn’t have any timing as such. It remains open all the time but must avoid going to the dam after sunset as it is located in an isolated place.
Which is the nearest city from Getalsud Dam?
Ranchi, the capital city of Jharkhand is the nearest city of Getalsud Dam. The distance of Getalsud Dam from Ranchi is
- 37.9 km via NH20 and NH320.
- 35.4 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
Which is the nearest railway station from the Getalsud Dam?
The nearest railway station from Getalsud Dam is Ranchi Junction (Station Code: RNC) and another major nearest railway station is Hatia (Station Code: HTE). The distance of Getalsud Dam from Ranchi Junction is 34.3 km via NH20 and the distance of Getalsud Dam from Hatia is 48.0 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
Which is the nearest airport from Getalsud Dam?
Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi, located at a distance of 37.9 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd is the nearest airport.
How to reach Getalsud Dam from Kolkata?
Board a train from Howrah Junction to Ranchi Junction or Hatia. The minimum journey time from Howrah to Ranchi is seven to eight hours by train. After getting down at Ranchi Junction or Hatia, book a cab to Getalsud Dam.
The distance between Ranchi Junction and Getalsud Dam is
- 34.3 km via NH20 and NH320.
- 31.4 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
The distance from Hatia to Getalsud Dam is
- 61.6 km via Ranchi Ring Rd.
- 48.0 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
You can self-drive from Kolkata to Getalsud Dam or book a rental cab from Kolkata to Getalsud Dam.
The distance between Kolkata to Getalsud Dam
- 384.5 km via NH19.
- 393.6 km via AH1.
- 400.0 km via NH16 and NH18.
Take a flight from Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata to Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi. It takes approx one to one and a half hours to reach Ranchi by air. After reaching take a cab from the airport to Getalsud Dam.
The distance between Birsa Munda Airport and Getalsud Dam is
- 37.9 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
- 40.3 km via NH20 and NH320.
Is Getalsud Dam safe for tourists?
Yes, Getalsud Dam is safe for tourists. However, the following tips will help you to have a safe and sound visit to Getalsud Dam
Tips for visiting Getalsud Dam
- As the dam is located at a distance from the city, it becomes isolated after 4 pm, therefore, avoid visiting the dam after sunset.
- Avoid visiting the dam alone, always be in a group.
- The safest time to visit is between 6 am to 4 pm.
- It is much safer to visit the dam during the peak season, i.e December to February or during Chhath Puja.
- Carry water bottles, medicines, snacks, and other refreshments along.
Where to stay while visiting Getalsud Dam?
Ranchi has many hotels and lodges both luxury and budget. Also, NH 33 has some good resorts.