Jonha Falls is a well-known tourist destination near the city of Ranchi in Jharkhand. Jonha falls also known as Gautamdhara falls has religious significance. One has to climb down 722 steps to admire the beautiful Jonha. Here, know more about the gorgeous Jonha Falls.
Table of Contents
- Where is Jonha Fall located?
- What is Jonha Fall famous for?
- What is the height of the Jonha Fall?
- From which river Jonha Fall originates?
- Weather at Jonha Fall.
- Best time to visit Jonha Fall.
- What is the ticket price at Jonha Fall?
- What is the timing of the Jonha Fall?
- Which is the nearest city from Jonha Fall?
- Which is the nearest railway station from the Jonha Fall?
- Which is the nearest airport from Jonha Fall?
- How to reach Jonha Fall from Kolkata?
- Is Jonha Fall safe for tourists?
- Where to stay while visiting Jonha Fall?
- What is the distance of Sita Falls from Jonha Falls?
- Places to visit near Jonha Fall.
Where is Jonha Fall located?
Jonha Fall is located in the Ranchi district of the state of Jharkhand. Ranchi is the capital city of Jharkhand and is the headquarter of the district.
What is Jonha Fall famous for?
Jonha Fall is also known as Gautamdhara Falls because of its historical significance. The locals believe that Lord Gautam Buddha spent quite a few years meditating near the fall. The place where Gautam Buddha used to meditate now has a Buddha temple dedicated to him. Hence, the name Gautamdhara.
What is the height of the Jonha Fall?
The Jonha waterfall falls from a height of 141 ft.
From which river Jonha Fall originates?
Jonha fall originates from the river Gunga when it tears apart from its mainstream, river Raru.
Weather at Jonha Fall
The area near Jonha Fall enjoys a subtropical humid climate. Summer starts from the month of March and prevails till the month of June. The temperature in the summer months ranges from 45 degrees to 30-degree centigrades. April and May are the hottest months of the year. July to September is the monsoon season. The area receives an average rainfall of 1000 mm. Winter stretches from the month of November to February with the temperature fluctuating between 5-degree centigrades to 15-degree centigrades, December and January being the coldest months.
Best time to visit Jonha Fall
To watch the fall at its best visit during the rainy month of August. However, for a picnic, the best time to visit is during the winter months of December and January.
What is the ticket price at Jonha Fall?
Jonha Falls has free entry.
What is the timing of the Jonha Fall?
The fall is open for 24 hours but it is advisable not to visit after dusk because of the isolated location.
Which is the nearest city from Jonha Fall?
The nearest city from Jonha is the capital city of Jharkhand, Ranchi.
Which is the nearest railway station from the Jonha Fall?
The nearest railway station from Jonha fall is Jonha (Station Code: JON). The nearest Junction is Ranchi Junction (Station Code: RNC) and another major nearest railway station is Hatia (Station Code: HTE).
Which is the nearest airport from Jonha Fall?
Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi is the nearest airport from Jonha Fall.
How to reach Jonha Fall from Kolkata?
Board a train from Howrah Junction to Ranchi Junction or Hatia. The minimum journey time from Howrah to Ranchi is seven to eight hours by train. After getting down at Ranchi Junction or Hatia, take a passenger train to Jonha Station. Autos are available at Jonha station which you can book for Jonha Falls. The distance between Jonha Station and Jonha Falls is 1.5 km.
Another, way to reach Jonha falls after getting down at Ranchi Junction or Hatia is book a cab to Jonha Falls.
The distance between Ranchi Junction and Jonha Falls is
- 34.1 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
- 36.8 km via Khelgaon-Tatisilwai Rd.
- 40.4 km via Bariatu Rd.
The distance from Hatia to Jonha Falls is
- 50.7 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
- 44.8 km via Khunti Road.
- 47.2 km via Khelgaon-Tatisilwai Rd.
You can self-drive from Kolkata to Jonha falls or book a rental cab from Kolkata to Jonha falls.
The distance between Kolkata to Jonha Fall
- 372.0 km via NH19.
- 384.5 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
- 388.9 km via NH16 and NH18.
Take a flight from Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata to Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi. It takes approx one to one and a half hours to reach Ranchi by air. After reaching take a cab from the airport to Jonha Fall.
The distance between Birsa Munda Airport and Jonha Fall is
- 40.5 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
- 42.8 km via Khelgaon-Tatisilwai Rd.
- 45.2 km via Bariatu Rd.
Is Jonha Fall safe for tourists?
Jonha fall is absolutely safe for tourists. Earlier it was a part of the Red corridor area but now, the government is turning it into a tourist hub. However, the following tips will help you to have a safe and sound visit to Jonha fall
Tips for visiting Jonha Falls
- As the fall is located at a distance from the city, it becomes isolated after 4 pm, therefore, avoid visiting the dam after sunset.
- Avoid visiting the fall alone, always be in a group.
- The safest time to visit is between 6 am to 4 pm.
- It is much safer to visit the fall during the peak season, i.e December to February.
- Carry water bottles, medicines, snacks, and other refreshments along.
Where to stay while visiting Jonha Fall?
There are many luxurious resorts nearby in NH 33 or one can stay in the city of Ranchi. The city has both luxurious and budget hotels and lodges.
What is the distance of Sita Falls from Jonha Falls?
The distance of Sita Falls from Jonha Falls is 4.7 km via Sita Falls Rd and Jonha Falls Rd.