Lower Ghaghri, is one of the best places to visit while you are on a trip to the Queen of Chotanagpur, the hill station of Netarhat. It is one of the beautiful offbeat destinations of Jharkhand hidden inside a dense forest. Know more about timings, tickets, stays, tips and things to do in Lower Ghaghri Falls.
Table of Contents
- Where is Lower Ghaghri Fall located?
- What is the height of the Lower Ghaghri?
- From which river Lower Ghaghri originates?
- Weather at Lower Ghaghri Fall.
- Best time to visit Lower Ghaghri Fall.
- What is the ticket price at Lower Ghaghri Fall?
- What is the timing of the Lower Ghaghri Fall?
- Which is the nearest city of Lower Ghaghri Fall?
- Which is the nearest railway station from the Lower Ghaghri Fall?
- Which is the nearest airport from Lower Ghaghri Fall?
- How to reach Lower Ghaghri Fall from Kolkata?
- Is Lower Ghaghri Fall safe for tourists?
- Where to stay while visiting Lower Ghaghri Fall?
- Places to visit near Lower Ghaghri Fall.
Lower Ghaghri Fall is located in the Latehar district in the state of Jharkhand. Latehar district is rich in minerals as well as forest resources. The district is also known for its adventure tourism.
It is the second-highest waterfall in the state of Jharkhand and the 33rd highest waterfall in India. The height of Lower Ghaghri Fall is 322 ft. The forest surrounding the fall is so dense that even sun rays cannot peep through.
Lower Ghaghri originates from river Ghaghri, a tributary of river Auranga.
The area surrounding the Lower Ghaghri Falls enjoys a tropical climate. Summers range from the month of March to June with the temperature ranging between 25 to 30-degree centigrade. The rainy season begins in the month of July and continues till the month of September. The winter season ranges between November to February with the temperature dropping as low as 9 to 12 degrees centigrades.
To truly admire the beauty of the fall, the best time to visit is during the monsoon season particularly in the month of August, as the water level is high. For picnics, the best time to visit is during the winter months of December to January.
The entry to Lower Ghaghri Fall is free.
Lower Ghaghri Fall is open for 24 hours. There is no time limit as such but avoid going to the fall after sunset as it is located in an isolated place.
‘Queen of Chotanagpur’, the hill station of Jharkhand, Netarhat is the nearest town of Lower Ghaghri Fall. Lower Ghaghri is located at a distance of 10 km from the town of Netarhat.
The capital city of Jharkhand, Ranchi is the nearest city of Lower Ghaghri Fall. Ranchi is located at a distance of 150.0 km via Ghaghra – Netarhat Rd.
Nearest railway station
The nearest railway station is Lohardaga (Station Code: LAD), located at a distance of 89.4 km via NH143A and Ghaghra – Netarhat Rd. The nearest Junction is Barwadih Junction (Station Code: BRWD), located at a distance of 100.6 km via Ghaghra – Netarhat Rd.
Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi located at a distance of 153.3 km via Ghaghra – Netarhat Rd, is the nearest airport from Lower Ghaghri Fall.
How to reach Lower Ghaghri Fall from Kolkata?
There are no direct trains between Howrah Junction and the nearest station Lohardaga. So, you can board a train from Howrah Junction to Ranchi Junction and then board another train from Ranchi Junction to Lohardaga which is a one and a half hours journey. After getting down at Lohardaga book a cab to Lower Ghaghri Fall.
The distance between Lohardaga and Lower Ghaghri Fall is
- 86.6 km via NH143A and Ghaghra – Netarhat Rd.
Another route will be to board a train from Howrah Junction to Barwadih Junction. It is a 12 hrs to 15 hrs journey. Take a cab or auto from Barwadi to Lower Ghaghri Fall.
The distance between Barwadi to Lower Ghaghri Fall is
- 100.5 km via Ghaghra – Netarhat Rd.
- 126.8 km via Jharkhand State Highway 9.
You can self-drive from Kolkata to Lower Ghaghri falls or book a rental cab from Kolkata to Lower Ghaghri fall.
The distance between Kolkata to Lower Ghaghri Fall
- 566.2 km via NH19.
- 553.2 km via NH43.
Take a flight from Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata to Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi. It takes approx one to one and a half hours to reach Ranchi by air. After reaching take a cab from the airport to Lower Ghaghri Fall.
The distance between Birsa Munda Airport and Lower Ghaghri Fall is
- 153.3 km via Ghaghra – Netarhat Rd.
- 180.7 km via Gumla – Khunti – Ranchi Rd.
Is Lower Ghaghri Fall safe for tourists?
Yes, Lower Ghaghri Fall is very much safe for tourists. However, the following tips will help you to have a safe and sound visit to Lower Ghaghri fall
Tips for visiting Lower Ghaghri Fall
- As the fall is located at a distance from the city, it becomes isolated after 4 pm, therefore, avoid visiting the fall after sunset.
- Avoid visiting the fall alone, always be in a group.
- The safest time to visit is between 6 am to 4 pm.
- It is much safer to visit the fall during the peak season, i.e December to February.
- Carry water bottles, medicines, snacks, and other refreshments along.
Where to stay?
One can stay in the nearby towns of Netarhat, Barwadih, Lohargada, or Latehar. You can check out some of the accommodations from the official website of Latehar tourism.