Phuldungri is a hillock in Jharkhand, separated from the main range of Dalma hills. The hillock is a complete package of scenic beauty as it is fully covered by forest. It attracts many tourists from the nearby state of West Bengal and Odisha throughout the year.
Table of Contents
- Where is Phuldungri Hill located?
- Why is Phuldungri Hill famous?
- Weather at Phuldungri Hill.
- Best time to visit Phuldungri Hill.
- How to reach Phuldungri Hill from Kolkata and Jamshedpur?
- Is Phuldungri Hill safe for tourists?
- Where to stay while visiting Phuldungri Hill?
- Places to visit near Phuldungri Hill.
Where is Phuldungri Hill located?
Phuldungri hill is located in a small town called Ghatshila, in the East Sighbhum district of Jharkhand. The town of Ghatshila is situated at the bank of river Subarnarekha and is surrounded by forest and Dalma hills. Phuldungri is located on the borders of the State of Jharkhand and West Bengal.
Why is Phuldungri Hill famous?
Aranyak, a very famous Bengali literature written by Bibhutibhushan Bandyopadhyay, a great Indian Bengali writer, was inspired by the forest embedded hills of Phuldungri. The word ‘Aranyak’ means ‘Of the forest’ in Bengali and the novel showcase how a man having an urban lifestyle fell in love with nature.
Phuldungri mostly is covered with Sal (Shorea robusta) and Mahua (Madhuca Longifolia) trees.
Weather at Phuldungri Hill
A tropical climate prevails in Phuldungri Hill. The Summer months range from March to June and the temperature varies between 35-degree to 45-degree centigrades. The month of April and May are the hottest. The hillock receives moderate rainfall during the rainy months of July to August. The winter stretches between the month of November to February with the temperature falling between 10 to 15-degree centigrade. The month of December and January are the coldest.
Best time to visit Phuldungri Hill
The best time to visit Phuldungri Hill is during the winter months of December to February because the cold weather makes it comfortable enough to climb up the hill.
How to reach Phuldungri Hill from Kolkata and Jamshedpur?
Phuldungri Hill can be reached both by rail and by road. If you are boarding a train, get down at Ghatshila (Station Code: GTS) and from the station take a cab or auto to Phuldungri Hill. The distance between Ghatshila Station and Phuldungri Hill is 19.6 km via NH18.
List of few trains that connect Howrah Jn and Ghatshila:
- Howrah – Barbil Jan Shatabdi Express (12021)
- Ispat Express (12871)
- Lalmati Express (12865)
List of few trains that connect Tatanagar Jn and Ghatshila:
- Tata Steel Express (18616)
- Mumbai LTT – Shalimar Kurla Express (18029)
- Neelachal (Neelanchal) Express (12876)
If you are planning a road trip to Phuldungri Hill from Kolkata, here is a list of different routes with distance:
- 255.0 km via NH16, NH49, and NH18.
- 291.2 km via SH 2.
- 336.6 km via NH19.
If you are planning a road trip to Phuldungri Hill from Jamshedpur, here is a list of different routes with distance:
- 42.2 km via NH18.
- 44.5 km via Dimna Rd and NH18.
- 48.0 km via Jamshedpur – Musabani Rd.
Bus services between Kolkata and Ghatshila
There are no bus services between Kolkata and Ghatshila.
Bus services between Jamshedpur and Ghatshila
Buses run between Jamshedpur and Ghatshila every day and generally operate between 6 am to 5 pm. If you are traveling by a public bus, you can rent a cab or auto from the Ghatshila bus stand known as Fuldungri bus stand to Phuldungri Hill. The distance between Fuldungri bus stand and Phuldungri Hill is 23.7 km via NH18.
Is Phuldungri Hill safe for tourists?
Phuldungri Hill is a safe place for the tourist but it’s always better to follow certain tips while visiting as it is situated in an isolated place. Here are some tips to follow for a safe visit to Phuldungri Hill.
Tips for visiting Phuldungri Hill
- The hill is completely covered by the forest and therefore, it becomes isolated after sunset, so, avoid visiting the hill during the dark hours.
- Avoid visiting the hill alone, always be in a group.
- The safest time to visit is between 6 am to 4 pm.
- It is much safer to visit the hill during the peak season, i.e December to February.
- Carry water bottles, medicines, snacks, and other refreshments along.
Where to stay while visiting Phuldungri Hill?
Ghatshila has too many budgets, as well as luxurious lodges, hotels, and resorts where one can stay while visiting Phuldungri Hill. Some of the well-known lodges, hotels, and resorts are
- Hotel Bibhuti Vihar
- Galudih Resort
Places to visit near Phuldungri Hill
- Ramakrishna Math
- Burudi Dam
- Dharagiri Falls
- Narwa Forest
- Galudih Dam
- Rankini Temple
- Panch Pandav
- Bhibhuti Bhushan Bandopadhyay’s Cottage