The European Union has recently updated the visa rule for Schengen which came into effect from 2nd February 2020. The major changes have been made in the Schengen visa fee, the time frame to apply for a visa, Multi-entry visa application, etc.
- What is Schengen?
- What is Schengen Visa?
- List of 26 Schengen countries.
- Schengen’s New Visa Rule 2020.
- Who can apply for a Schengen Multi-entry visa?
What is Schengen?
Schengen is the passport-free zone of Europe that includes 26 European countries. There is no border control in the Schengen Area and it is the world’s largest free travel area.
What is Schengen Visa?
The Schengen visa is one of the most applied in the world. It is a short stay visa in Europe, up to 90 days, that allows a person to travel to any member country of Schengen for the purpose of both tourism and business. The visa holders get a chance to travel 26 European countries, of which 22 are a part of the European Union.
List of 26 Schengen countries
- Czech Republic
Schengen’s New Visa Rule 2020
- The visa fee for adults has been increased from 60 Euros to 80 Euros.
- The visa fee for children between the age of six to twelve has been increased from 35 Euros to 40 Euros.
- Children between the age of 0 to 6 remain exempt from visa fees.
- Visa application forms, can now be signed and submitted electronically.
- The new visa code extended the application submission period. Now, the application can be made 6 months before the trip which was 3 months earlier.
- Seafarers can submit an application for a visa, 9 months in advance of their arrival in any Schengen’s port.
- The latest, an application for a visa can be submitted remain 15 days before a trip to Schengen Area.
- Travel insurance remain mandatory for Scehngen visa applicants.
- Travelers frequently visiting Schengen, who has a positive visa history, will get a benefit of multiple-entry-visa valid up to 5 years. However, travelers applying for a multi-entry visa needs to prove, having a valid travel medical insurance covering their first trip.
Who can apply for a Schengen Multi-entry visa?
- An applicant can apply for a multi-entry visa for a validity of one year if the applicant, with a positive visa history, has obtained and used three visas, within the previous two years.
- An applicant can apply for a multi-entry visa for the validity of two years if the applicant, with a positive visa history, has obtained and used one visa, within the previous two years.
- An applicant can apply for a multi-entry visa for the validity of five years if the applicant, with a positive visa history, has obtained and used two visas, within the previous three years.
🔜 important information for all visa applicants: on 2 Feb 2020 the new Schengen visa index enters into force.— German Embassy Kigali (@GermanyinRwanda) January 23, 2020
From this date onwards the visa application fee will be 80 Euros (approx. 80.500 RWF). ⚠️
More information about the visa process => https://t.co/JIqWxmC9dq pic.twitter.com/JFD5zewKX9