Sita fall is a lesser-visited waterfall in the state of Jharkhand. The fall, named after Goddess Sita, was hardly visited by tourists because of its location.
However, now Jharkhand Tourism Development Corporation (JTDC) has made immense effort to make the fall easily accessible by both road and rail. Here we bring you every detail about Sita fall, let’s know more about this untouched beauty.
Table of Contents
- Where is Sita Fall located?
- What is Sita Fall famous for?
- What is the height of the Sita Fall?
- From which river Sita Fall originates?
- Weather at Sita Fall.
- Best time to visit Sita Fall.
- What is the ticket price at Sita Fall?
- What is the timing of the Sita Fall?
- Which is the nearest city from Sita Fall?
- Which is the nearest railway station from the Sita Fall?
- Which is the nearest airport from Sita Fall?
- How to reach Sita Fall from Kolkata?
- Is Sita Fall safe for tourists?
- Where to stay while visiting Sita Fall?
- What is the distance of Jonha Falls from Sita Falls?
- Places to visit near Sita Fall.
Sita Fall is located in the district of Ranchi in Jharkhand. Ranchi, the capital city of Jharkhand, is known for its beautiful waterfalls and hills. The city never fails to charm the tourists with its enormous beauty.
The mythological significance
Sita Fall is named after goddess Sita from the Indian epic, Ramayana. It is said that during their years of Vanvasa (exile), Lord Rama, Goddess Sita, and Lord Laxmana has spent a few days near the waterfall.
The footprint of the Goddess has also been found at the place which is now preserved in a temple. The beauty of the fall is so breathtaking that it is compared to Goddess Sita who was known for her bizarre beauty.
The height of Sita falls is approx 300 feet.
Sita fall originates from River Kanchi, a tributary of river Subarnarekha.
The weather near Sita Fall is subtropical humid. Summer starts from the month of March and prevails till the month of June. The temperature in the summer months ranges from 45 degrees to 30-degree centigrades. April and May are the hottest months of the year.
July to September is the monsoon season. The area receives an average rainfall of 1000 mm. Winter stretches from the month of November to February with the temperature fluctuating between 5-degree centigrades to 15-degree centigrades, December and January being the coldest months.
Best time to visit
The fall is at its scenic best during the rainy month of August. However, for a picnic, the best time to visit is during the winter months of December and January.
Entry to Sita Fall is free.
Entry to Sita Fall is open 24 hours but it is advisable not to visit the fall after dusk because of the isolated location.
Ranchi, the capital city of Jharkhand is the nearest city from the Sita Fall, located at a distance of 40 KM.
Nearest railway station
The nearest railway station from Sita fall is Jonha (Station Code: JON), located at a distance of 5.2 KM.
The nearest Junction is Ranchi Junction (Station Code: RNC) and another major nearest railway station is Hatia (Station Code: HTE).
Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi is the nearest airport from Sita Fall.
How to reach Sita Fall from Kolkata?
Board a train from Howrah Junction to Ranchi Junction or Hatia. The minimum journey time from Howrah to Ranchi is seven to eight hours by train.
After getting down at Ranchi Junction or Hatia, take a passenger train to Jonha Station. Autos are available at Jonha station which you can book for Sita Falls.
The distance between Jonha Station and Sita Falls is 5.2 km via Jonha Falls Rd and Sita Falls Rd.
Another, way to reach Sita falls after getting down at Ranchi Junction or Hatia is book a cab to Sita Falls.
The distance between Ranchi Junction and Sita Falls is
- 38.8 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
- 41.6 km via Khelgaon-Tatisilwai Rd.
The distance from Hatia to Sita Falls is
- 45.3 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
- 51.2 km via Bajra – Bariatu Rd.
- 47.7 km via Khelgaon-Tatisilwai Rd.
You can self-drive from Kolkata to Sita falls or book a rental cab from Kolkata to Sita falls.
The distance between Kolkata to Sita Fall
- 376.8 km via NH19.
- 389.2 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
- 393.6 km via NH16 and NH18.
Take a flight from Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata to Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi. It takes approx one to one and a half hours to reach Ranchi by air. After reaching take a cab from the airport to Sita Fall.
The distance between Birsa Munda Airport and Sita Fall is
- 45.3 km via Ranchi – Purulia Rd.
- 47.6 km via Khelgaon-Tatisilwai Rd.
Is Sita Fall safe for tourists?
Yes, Sita fall is safe for tourists. Earlier it was a part of the Red corridor area but now, the government is turning it into a tourist hub. However, the following tips will help you to have a safe and sound visit to Sita fall
Tips for visiting Sita Fall
- As the fall is located at a distance from the city, it becomes isolated after 4 pm, therefore, avoid visiting the dam after sunset.
- Avoid visiting the fall alone, always be in a group.
- The safest time to visit is between 6 am to 4 pm.
- It is much safer to visit the fall during the peak season, i.e December to February.
- Carry water bottles, medicines, snacks, and other refreshments along.
Where to stay while visiting Sita Fall?
One can stay in any nearby luxurious resorts in NH 33 or stay in the city of Ranchi. The city has both luxurious and budget hotels and lodges.
What is the distance of Jonha Falls from Sita Falls?
The distance of Jonha Falls from Sita Falls is 4.7 km via Sita Falls Rd and Jonha Falls Rd.