Tenughat, a dam on the verge of becoming an important tourist destination in Jharkhand. As of now, it is a favorite picnic destination for the locals. Tripinfi brings you all the detail about Tenughat Dam – Places to Visit, How to reach, Things to do, Timings, and a lot more.
Table of Contents
- Where is Tenughat Dam located?
- What is Tenughat Dam famous for?
- When was Tenughat Dam inaugurated?
- Which organization operates and manages Tenughat Dam?
- What is the height of the Tenughat Dam?
- What is the length of the Tenughat Dam?
- On which river is Tenughat Dam constructed?
- Weather at Tenughat Dam.
- Best time to visit Tenughat Dam.
- Tourism at Tenughat Dam.
- Does the Tenughat Dam offer a boating facility?
- What is the ticket price at Tenughat Dam?
- What is the timing of the Tenughat Dam?
- Which is the nearest city from Tenughat Dam?
- Which is the nearest railway station from the Tenughat Dam?
- Which is the nearest airport from Tenughat Dam?
- How to reach Tenughat Dam from Kolkata?
- Is Tenughat Dam safe for tourists?
- Where to stay while visiting Tenughat Dam?
- Places to visit near Tenughat Dam.
Tenughat Dam is located at Tenughat, a census town in the Bokaro district of Jharkhand. Bokaro was separated from the district of Dhanbad and Giridih in the year 1991.
Tenughat Dam is the main source of water supply to the Bokaro Steel Plant and also to the entire Bokaro district.
Tenughat Dam was inaugurated in the year 1974.
Which organization operates and manages Tenughat Dam?
Tenughat Dam is operated and managed by the Government of Jharkhand.
The height of Tenughat is 180 ft.
The length of Tenughat is 16,000 ft.
On which river is Tenughat Dam constructed?
Tenughat is constructed on river Damodar.
Tenughat Dam enjoys a tropical climate. Summers begin in the month of March and prevails till the month of June with the temperature stretching between 35 to 49-degree centigrade. The rainy season commences in the month of July and continues till the month of September. The winter season ranges between November to February with the temperature dropping as low as 10 to 15 degrees centigrades.
Best time to visit
The dam is at its best with high water levels during August which is the monsoon month. Nevertheless, the best time to visit the dam is during the winter months of December to February which is the peak season for picnics.
Jharkhand Tourism Ministry is planning on developing Tenughat in a major tourist hub. As of now, it is one of the best picnic spots in Jharkhand and is visited by large groups of people from the state of Bihar, Jharkhand and West Bengal every year.
Does the Tenughat Dam offer a boating facility?
Yes, Tenughat Dam offers boating facilities for the tourists. Peddle boats are available at the site.
Entry to Tenughat Dam is free.
Tenughat Dam is open for 24 hours though, it is not safe enough to visit the dam after dusk as it is located in an isolated area.
Bokaro Steel City, one of the planned cities in India, is the nearest city from Tenughat Dam. The distance between Bokaro and Tenughat Dam is 26.3 km via Kasmar Petarbar Rd.
Nearest railway station
Bokaro Steel City (Station Code: BKSC) is the nearest railway station from Tenughat Dam.
Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi, is the nearest airport from Tenughat Dam.
How to reach
Board a train from Howrah Junction and get down at Bokaro Steel City. The minimum journey time from Howrah to Bokaro is five to six hours by train. After getting down at Bokaro railway station, book a cab to Tenughat Dam. The distance between Bokaro Steel City and Tenughat dam is
- 54.3 km via NH320.
- 54.1 km via Dumri – Bermo – Jaina Rd.
- 48.0 km via Station Road.
The distance between Kolkata to Tenughat Dam
- 358.4 km via NH19.
- 346.6 km via AH1.
Take a flight from Netaji Subhash Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata to Birsa Munda Airport, Ranchi. It takes approx one to one and a half hours to reach Ranchi by air. After reaching take a cab from Ranchi to Tenughat Dam.
The distance of Tenughat Dam from Ranchi is
- 87.4 km via NH320.
Is Tenughat Dam safe for tourists?
Yes, Tenughat Dam is very much safe for tourists. However, the following tips will help you to have a safe and sound visit to Tenughat Dam
Tips for visiting Tenughat Dam
- As the dam is located at a distance from the city, it becomes isolated after 4 pm, therefore, avoid visiting the dam after sunset.
- Avoid visiting the dam alone, always be in a group.
- The safest time to visit is between 6 am to 4 pm.
- It is much safer to visit the dam during the peak season, i.e December to February.
- Carry water bottles, medicines, snacks, and other refreshments along.
Where to stay
Staying in the city of Bokaro is the best decision while visiting Tenughat Dam. Bokaro has some good luxury hotels and also has many budget hotels and lodges.
Other places to visit
- Hundru Waterfall
- Jawaharlal Nehru Biological Park
- Patratu Valley
- Usri Falls
- Dassam Falls
- Bhagwan Birsa Biological Park
- Tagore Hill
- Palna Dam
- Gayatri Mandir
- Ajodhya Hill and Forest Reserve Area
- Sita Falls
- Shaheed Bhagat Singh Park
- Birsa Munda Park