Udhwa is the only bird sanctuary in the state of Jharkhand, located at the boundary of the Chotanagpur Plateau in the floodplain area of river Ganga. The sanctuary attracts many different varieties of birds from different countries during the dry season of the year. Irrespective of being home to 106 varieties of birds it is one of the lesser-visited places in Jharkhand.
Table of Contents
- Where is the Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary located?
- What is Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary famous for?
- When was Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary established?
- What is the area covered by Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary?
- Birds found in Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary.
- Weather at Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary.
- Best time to visit Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary.
- Which is the nearest town from Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary?
- Which is the nearest railway station from the Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary?
- Which is the nearest airport from Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary?
- How to reach Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary from Kolkata?
- Is Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary safe for tourists?
- Where to stay while visiting Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary?
- Places to visit near Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary.
Where is the Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary located?
Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary is located in a small village called Udhwa in the Sahebganj district of Jharkhand. It is located at the flood plain of the river Ganga. Udhwa is named after Saint Uddhava, a friend of Lord Krishna in Mahabharatha. It is said that Udhwa was the birthplace of St. Uddhava.
Also, the battle of Udhwa Nala was fought here between Mir Qasim, (then King of Bengal) and the British in the year 1763.
What is Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary famous for?
Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary is the only bird sanctuary in the entire state of Jharkhand. During the winter months, the sanctuary is visited by many migratory birds from Europe and Siberia.
The sanctuary is called a lake sanctuary as it has two backwater lakes over the river Ganga, Patoura, and Bareil within its boundaries. The sanctuary is covered by forest which adds to its beauty.
When was Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary established?
Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary was established in the year 1991.
What is the area covered by Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary?
The bird sanctuary covers an area of 5.65 sq km with Lake Patoura covering 1.55 sq km and Lake Barhel covering 4.10 sq km of the total area.
Birds found in Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary
The sanctuary is blessed with 106 different varieties of birds that dwell as well as migrate from different countries. Some of the birds found in the sanctuary are
- Indigenous Birds: Gull, Jacana, Teal, Cormorant, Dabchick, Darter, Wader, Lapwing, Plover, Wagtail, Egret, Heron, Ibis, Stork, Pratincole, Blue Rock Pigeon, Lark, Bee-eater, Sparrow, Myna, Pipit, Bulbul, Pied Myna, Indian Myna, Bank Myna, Jungle Myna, Brahminy Myna, Grey-headed Myna, Tern, Brahminy Kite, Fishing Eagle, Hawk, Vulture, House Swift, Palm Swift, Swallow, Kingfisher, Drongo, Indian Roller, Indian Parakeet and many more.
- Migratory Birds: Black-headed Gull, Brown-headed Gull, Grey-headed Lapwing, Little-ringed Plover, Red Shanks, Green Shanks, Spotted Green Shanks, Common Sandpiper, Temmink’s Stint, Yellow and White Wagtail, Blue-throat, Western Swallow and others.
Weather at Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary
The area surrounding the bird sanctuary has a tropical climate. Summers begins from the month of March and continues till June with the temperature ranging between 35 to 45-degree centigrade. The rainy season begins in the month of July and continues till the month of September. The winter season ranges between November to February with the temperature dropping as low as 10 to 15 degrees centigrades.
Best time to visit Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary
The best time to visit Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary is from October to May because you can witness both the beautiful Indigenous as well as Migratory birds.
Which is the nearest town from Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary?
Sahebganj, the district headquarters for Sahibganj District in Jharkhand is the nearest town from Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary, located at a distance of 51.8 km via NH33.
Which is the nearest railway station from the Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary?
The nearest railway station is Sahibganj Junction (Station Code: SBG) located at a distance of 51.7 km via NH 33.
Which is the nearest airport from Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary?
Netaji Subhas Chandra Bose International Airport, Kolkata is the nearest railway station from Udhwa bird sanctuary located at a distance of 328.3 km via Badshahi Rd/Grand Trunk Rd and SH 7.
How to reach Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary from Kolkata?
Board a train from Howrah Junction to Sahibganj Junction. The minimum journey time is ten to twelve hours by train. After getting down at Sahibganj, book a cab to Udhwa Bird Sanctuary.
The distance between Sahibganj Junction to Udhwa bird sanctuary is
- 51.7 km via NH 33.
You can self-drive from Kolkata to Udhwa or can book a rental cab.
The distance between Kolkata to Udhwa Bird Sanctuary is
- 328.6 km via Badshahi Rd/Grand Trunk Rd and SH 7.
- 354.9 km via NH19.
- 325.5 km via NH12.
Is Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary safe for tourists?
Yes, Udhwa Bird Sanctuary is absolutely safe for tourists.
Where to stay while visiting Udhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary?
The town of Sahebganj has many hotels and lodges having different tariffs.
Places to visit nearUdhwa Lake Bird Sanctuary
- Moti Jharna
- Shivgadi Temple
- Bindabasini Temple
- Shukravasini Temple
- Teliagarhi Fort